« Home | When A Bad Day Turns Around » | What I saw on Monday morning was, to me, a sight t... » | Still Hating Mondays... » | Charlie and Willy Wonka's Perfect Set of Teeth » | Part Two » | About Me (jeez, that sounded so self-absorbed) » | The Whole 8 1/2 Yards » | Shortcuts and Easy Ways Out » | Just a Few Things... » | A Must Read »

The Valour of My Tongue

Why is it that we tend to assume that good character traits go together with other good ones? We assume that just because this person is really good and kind at heart, he/she would never be capable of saying anything bad. If you ask a mass comm student (i say student because most theories don't apply when you're actually working hands-on in that field), he/she would say that we practise the Implicit Personality Theory meaning you subconciously group a set of characteristics based on what you see. So, if you see the good in a person, you assume he/she is all good. I myself am guilty of doing just that- today. I guess I forgot that this person is after all, a mere human being... It's nothing super-huge, it's just that I never really thought that this person would ever bruise another with the 'valour of his/her tongue'. Like I said, I finally saw the mortal in that person.

'Valour of my tongue'. Shakespeare used that phrase in reference to the power of Lady Macbeth's words in leading her husband on to take the throne based on a prophecy in his play Macbeth. IT was to show how mere words can make a man so driven to achieve his dreams and over-throw his king and replace him. Boyzone (I can't remember the original singer) did a re-make on the song 'It's Only Words' saying that all they have are words to sweep a woman off her feet and to 'take (her) heart away'. Such is the power of words and should you not use them wisely, regret is bound to be felt. As they say in the principals of human communication, 'communication is inevitable, ireverseable and unrepeatable. So, because we can't un-communicate what we say, it's best to think before we talk. But really, it's a lot easier said than done (yeah, I see those heads nodding) ain't it people?

Yes, I've said some things, done some not very nice things but does that alter people's perception of me? Do they now think I'm not really the good girl I was perceived to be? Have I hurt poeple so dear to me in doing this? Have I made people feel small? Have I whacked them so hard with my words that they're afraid to come near me? Have I lost precious friendships this way? In all honesty, I'm not sure if I can say yes to all these questions but i'm sure it's true. Do I feel regret? Witout a doubt. What have I done about it? Sadly, nothing much because in the words of a friend, "Once said (hurtful words), they can't be retrieved and a mere sorry sure wouldn't suffice" (In, 2005). All I can do is say sorry but 'sorry' won't fix it. 'Sorry' is not gonna make the pain go away and 'sorry' sure as heck isn't gonna allow that other person to look at you the same way again.

So, here I am asking, what can you do to mend something like this? It's not as simple to move on as it is to pour chocolate syrup on your waffels...is it?