« Home | Shortcuts and Easy Ways Out » | Just a Few Things... » | A Must Read » | Where Are You? » | Discovering the cook In Me » | I'm Gettin' Older Too... » | Nowhere To Go and Nothing To Do » | She Left Without Saying Goodbye » | Punctuality » | Insane Ramblings... »

The Whole 8 1/2 Yards

Ok, so I guess the weekend wasn't totally horrid. I mean I thought I was gonna have a really boring weekend because I had to go to Penang with mom- my cousin was getting engaged- but it was actually an experience. See, when you are family, you're expected to go for little occasions like these and if you're my age and single, there's only two reasons why you have to go:
1. So your long distance aunts and unknown relatives can take a good long look at you and tell your mom, "wow, the last time I saw her she was this little (while holding up their hands to their tighs)...my she's grown!" or, "how are you (without really meaning it)? you look like you've put on a little more wight since we last met".
2. So you feel a little 'emotional' about still being single when your cousin who's only about 4 years older is almost getting hitched.

But as I said earlier it was an experience because for the first time in about six years I got into one of them Indian outfits. When I was younger, I would wear them just because my mother said so and back eveyone though it was cute for little girls to walk around in Punjabhi suits or 'Lengas' (which by the way is actually a long skirt and a goddy top). When I hit teen age, I told myself I didn't have to wear them anymore coz it's just soooo uncomfortable and poke-y. So I told my mom, she'll just have to settle for a dress or my favorite, just a slacks and a top.

Now, a lil older, I realize the statements you make when you wear such casual clothes to the likes of an indian eagagement. To simply put, if a girl my age walks in with such casual clothes to another family member's special occasion (birthdays not included), this is the statement she makes: "I'm not respecting traditions and I'm really not bothered about this event". And, although I live with the personal opinion that some traditions and cultures practised by us indians are just ridiculous, I can't help but play along sometimes for obvious reasons and so this weekend, I did just that.

However, I decided not to wear a saree (i've never worn one, EVER ), instead I opted for a peach colored Punjabhi Suite (a plain pair of pants and a below-knee-length dress-like top with a really high slit at both sides-hence the pants!). Prompted by my cousin, i decided to add in a lil make-up (the last time I did that was about a year ago for my high school play) and finnished of with an orange pottu (not the kind married indian women wear). The looks on my aunts' faces were priceless and they vowed to get me into a saree before I leave for New Zealand! haha... I've even got pictures but they're no uploaded yet. Rest assured, I will post em up here soon.

Some weekend that was...I never thought I'd say this but it was kinda fun playing dress up!

About me

  • I'm Naveena
  • From Auckland, New Zealand
  • I'm rough around the edges but, I'm God's working progress. I don't allow myself to bruise easily but I sometimes I can't help it. I love wholly and there isn't much that I hate. I believe that life is about the journey and not the destination because by default, the former determines the latter. Yes, I am THAT girl.
My profile