« Home | Punctuality » | Insane Ramblings... » | Sleep Deprived » | to play a small part in smtg so big » | Doing Nothing Is Hard Work! » | Psyco-ed Into Blogging »

She Left Without Saying Goodbye

Taking the trip up north to Penang for my neice's first birthday sure did bring back a lot of memories. Yes, Penang has been a place of amny occurances for me and my family-swell ones to not so pleasant ones. It was the place where I had my first beach experience way back when I was five. It was the place I took my first ferry. it was/is where my aunt lives. It was in that aunt's home where my cousins and i would play hop-scotch (it's that game u play where u jump from one square to another that's in the shape of a cross). It was the fist home in my family to have cable TV so i'd always plonk myself on the sofa and watch all my favorite shows for hours till my butt got sore form sitting too long. Whenever I went to my aunts home, she'd make me my favorite 'appam' for breakfast just for me and my sister. For those of you who don't know, 'appam' is sorta like Indian pancake that whilte in the center with a thin paper-like crust and it's usually eaten with coconut milk poured over it. Penang was also the place where I lost my uncle. He died of a heart attack-but that's coz he was an alcoholic, a real bad one. Quite recently and possibly the most memorable one, Penang was where my granny passed away.

So, going back to my aunt's home last weekend was...well it was the first time I went back after the death of my granny. When she was alive, she'd always wait for our arrival by the swing in the porch. She'd always be waiting with a huge smile on her face (I personally think it's because out of all her daughters, she likes my mom the best-well my mom was the youngest and most spoilt one in the family so yeah!) and she'd just embrace us with her small arms and it was one of the best feeling in the world...gosh, I miss those hugs. Then, we'd all go into her room and just talk and talk and catch up coz after all, we do live at different ends of the country! She always make it a point to cook for us all our favorite food-from crabs to prawns to that famous 'appam'. But now that she's not around no more, it's been different. I mean, yeah, we still have those talks with our aunts and the food's still great but somehow, it's just different without the almost magical touch of a granny. I imagine those of who who've lost ur granny would be able to relate.

Yeah, it sure is funny how I never thought so much of her when she was alive. Sometimes I still think she's a round...sometimes i'm a lil in denial in that sense. I wish she was still around. But i also know that everything happens for a reason. No one's death has meant so much to me than this one-not my uncle's nor my grandad's. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that never take your grandparents for granted coz you'll never know what you miss untill they're gone. Trust me, i should know. If I'm not the first person to tell you this, take this as a reminder and go tell your grandparents how much you love them...if you're not close to them, it's time you start being close! Take it from me, granny makes the meanest curry and the sews the tightest buttons on your shirts/shorts! lolz...well, at least my granny was that. So,hurry and make that call today! (Jeez, I sound like those home shopping programs convincing people to buy yet another thing they don't really need, don't I?)

Patti (that's Tamil for granny),
Wherever you may be, I just hope you're doing well. I'm sad that you left and didn't say goodbye but i'm also happy that you didn't have to suffer for too long in that bed in that hospital. Just watching you merely breathing with the help with all those machines, I didn't feel a thing untill they pronounced your passing on. Yes, I regret not coming to visit you that weekend before when mom went-I shoulda come along. But no worries, I promise to take good care of her while you're gone. just so you know, I loved you very much but it wasn't expressed enough. So, hope you and grandad are happy together up there and I love you.

Currently listening to: Speed of life by Sugarland (talk about irony!)

About me

  • I'm Naveena
  • From Auckland, New Zealand
  • I'm rough around the edges but, I'm God's working progress. I don't allow myself to bruise easily but I sometimes I can't help it. I love wholly and there isn't much that I hate. I believe that life is about the journey and not the destination because by default, the former determines the latter. Yes, I am THAT girl.
My profile