« Home | Goings-On...or is it Going-Ons » | The End of a Beginning » | It's Here! It's Here! » | Three Weeks and Counting (and scared as hell) » | This Summer's Must Watch-es » | Of Empty Drawers and Teapots » | Another New "Toy" » | I Think I'm Finally Growing Up » | A Love That Will Last » | Contentment »

Learning to Adapt

Warning: This MIGHT be a long post- seeing as how I've not updated in quite a while

WOW!!! So much has happend in these few days and quite frankly, I'm not sure where to begin. Should I start with the weather (for real!)? Perhaps I should start with the the amazing beaches I've seen so far (which is just the tip of the iceberg!)... Maybe I should whine about the fact that till the very end of leaving Malaysia, I NEVER got to have my last bowl of authentic Penang Char Kway Teow and Bak Kut Teh!

Well, whatever it is, I know I've a lot to be grateful for and I eagerly await the Lord to show me what He has in mind for me and I certainly can't wait to go SHOPPIIIING (as Joel would so nicely say it) in Auckland City. It's funny how I'm not missing home, but I am missing my friends and family very dearly. To all of you who I didn't get to see, I'm so sorry but I promise to come visit first thing upon returning. And to all of you who did spend my last few weeks with me, THANKS FOR MAKING THEM MEMORABLE! (Gosh, why did that soundlike I was already dead?!)

On adapting to this side of the world, I haven't made much progress, but then again it's only been 9 days...

...the weather is dreadfully horrid! Now, I'm not one to talk about the weather like how some people use it as small talk but seriously, this is just argh!!! Because it's winter, it rains, shines, rains again, then like after an hour it shines again and then without warning it rains again and well, you get me. I live a mere 10 minutes away from the beach but I've yet to set foot on one because of this crummy weather. I SO an't wait for summer and since it's been a horrid winter, the residents predict a fantastic one!

...the water is another thing I'm gonna have to get used to. It's hard water so it makes my hair all rough and tangled up. I guess I'm gonna have to et one of those live-in conditioners...and I trully understand the meaning of skincare now. Man, I need like, a hundred different creams so my skin doesn't dry up...it's irritating, I never used to take THIS long to get ready for bed and I can't go out anywhere without putting them on coz I'll come back all dried and get myskin all peeled. Yuck! I wake up every morning with a cold nose and I get cold feet (literally) despite wearing socks and I sure as heck am not used to wearing so many layers of clothes! Did I say I can't wat for summer?!

After all that whinning, I must say that the Auckland weather has its upside: Double rainbows. I saw an absolutely gorgeous one last Sunday on my way home from church (Church here makes me miss YC!). Gosh, it was an amazing sight- two completely different rainbows right next to each other! Iwish I had a camera with me then.

So, now that I can't go to college just yet and I can't get a job I've been pretty much at home, getting in touch with my culinary skills and learning how to make my bed with the help of Martha Stewart (for some reason, NZ telly don't seem to be big on Oprah, thought they have Tyra Banks and Dr. Phil (eek!)). It's not that I've never made my bed before, it's just that the beds here are more complicated...there's more than one layer after the bed sheet- probably due to the weather. You have the protective layer, the fited sheet, then the flat sheet after which comes the duvet (or better known as the comforter) then some fancy-shmancy layer of something and one more thing I frgot. The pillows are a whole different matter!

On another plus side, Mexican cuisine is much easier to get here and for a much affordable budget. Enchillatas (hope I spelt it right) and Fajitas, here I come! Ciao, mates! (haha, how contradicting!)