« Home | A Love That Will Last » | Contentment » | I LIKE » | Left Hanging on Purpose » | Random Thoughts 2 » | I AM GOING TO MISS WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE WHEN THE TI... » | Like Father Like Daughter » | How to Deal? » | The Power of Retail Therapy » | 2006 Asian X Games, Sunway Lagoon, Kuala Lumpur »

I Think I'm Finally Growing Up

"Apasal lu brek?!"

That was the first thing he asked me as soon as I got down from the car to look at the damage he had done. It (the aformentioned sentence) translates to "why did you hit your brakes?!", for those of you who aren't fluent in Malay (as spoken by a true Malaysian). Okay, so let's back it up a little, shall we?

If you were caught in traffic that was moving at a snail's pace, the natural thing to do would be to drive slowly, always keeping a safe distance from the car in front of you, just in case he hit his brakes. Right? So, that's exactly what I did, only I didn't get so lucky after safely avoiding the car in front of me. Some dude who can't follow this rule of thumb in driving just had to come a little too close and hence not being able to brake on time when push came to shove. The result? He whacked into the back of my car. Well that, followed by another two cars behind his.

Of course the immediate thing to do was panic (well, in my case at least) seeing as how I'm still on probation. The first thing I thought of was "Gosh, why today of all days? I was supposed to watch a movie! This is like my second accident in the last six months". But this time around I was a little braver because it wasn't my fault (no, this is not one of those point-the-finger-at-another moments).

But before I could go into the "why me? Why now?" zone, the adult part of me (as turns out, I happen to have one =p) stopped me and I suddenly remembered the song "Always look on the bright side of life". You know how people always say "what happens, happens"? I realize that it coulda been a lot worse. I didn't get hurt, it wasn't a huge truck that rammed into me, I'm not at fault, and the damage is fixable. No problem, it's nothing I can't handle. I was even straight faced about it when I told mom too (which is quite an achievement to me)!

What did I learn today? These things happen (and today was my turn). I'm just gonna have to take it all in my stride and finally learn to take responsibility for my own actions. Having said that, I'm going to pay for what ever I have to (because this time I can afford to). So much for rewarding myself with a hair-do and a massage with my first company allowance!

So, this is me- taking responsibility for my actions. It's not much in terms of money, but still, I felt proud of myself for standing up to the guy and I came on top. Previously, I was so scared I was crying on the phone when I had to call for help becasue I didn't know what to do then. I'm smarter and braver now...hehe

*pats navee on her back*
Way to go gurl.....proud of ya.... ;)
Hahaha....cheh, i thought you gonna take me out to DINNER with your nice big big paycheck! :P

*muaks*

well, too bad this had to go and happen. but tell u what i was plannig on treating a few friends with my MOM's paycheck before i leave...and ur invited! haha

Post a Comment