« Home | ...of Weddings, Sarees and Errands » | Kleenex- My New Best Friend... » | Six Months and Counting... » | Random-ness » | My New Treasured "Toy"... » | Life's Simple Pleasures » | Back to Work! » | 2005- A Reminiscence... » | My Grown-up Christmas List » | ...of Smiles and Skirts »

Summer


I was at drama class this morning and we did this excercise where we got into pairs and softly read a piece of prose we picked out. Oh, but before that, we had to lie on our backs and whisper it to ourselves. I like the piece I picked out and the whole time I was saying it to myself, I was thinking of a friend of mine, a childhood friend really. As I was "breathing in the prose, line by line" (in the words of my lectutrer) I was reminded of the simplicity of life back when I was a child. How, everyhing was so unambiguous, so explicit, so...assured. I was reminded of how much fun we use to have literally scrambling hills and returning home with dirt all over us and bruised knees (Yeah, there was a tiny hill at the back of his house and if you walked far enough, it would lead you to a train station- out of no where). We'd play football and use our slippers as goal posts, ride our bikes around the neighbourhood. Sigh...I miss those days where childhood fantasies were not too hard to reach becoz they were not too much to ask. But I guess that's why they're called childhood fantasies, huh? When you're all grown up, fantasies become virtually inaccessible because the 'R' word kicks in- Responsibility. If you're the older sibling in the family and have been constantly scrutinized under the watchful eyes of your parents and the people who surround them, you'll be able to relate.

But, just because I know that I will always be a child at heart, I've got my girl friends to help bring out the "free spirit" in me. I may be 19, but really, I have the sould of a 4 year old (I still love that year of my life...untill today). I believe it's always good to let loose and let the kid in you come out every now and then. To me, that's the only way to stay sane. Well, that and fully relying on God...

But anyway, yeah, I really do miss the time I spent together. We've not seen each other in about 10 months and prior to that, our last encounter was NINE year ago! So, you can imagine the expressions on our faces when we saw each other for the firt time in nine years! I mean, we were two little people who were always playing video games (too bad his playstation only arrived long after I moved), jumping into those little kiddie pools that you could fold up and put away when not in use, and we'd strum our little badminton raquets and pretend they were guitars...lolz....It's amazing what puberty can do to a person! Just thinking about it makes me wish I was five again. Oh well, we gotta grow up some time.
Anyway, this is the prose that rekindled those sweet memories. I took it off Fiction Press (yeah, I don't have a knack for writing):

SUMMER
We were summer children, you and I. It was our element. We would climb hills together, feeling the wind through hair that was never brushed. Scrambling up trees with dirty nails that I bit and you let grow like claws. Jumping into the ocean on sunny days with tattered jeans on, not caring about the mess. Hoarding money and then spending it on ice-cream at some tiny store, laughing as we shared a cone, sweat and cream and roses dripping off our faces. We were the wild horses that could never, would never, be tamed.
-SaturnOolaa, Summer-